Sunday, February 28, 2010

Wrecked

Yesterday, for 12 hours straight, I sat through the Academy Award best picture nominees in a thing AMC Theaters does every year called the Best Picture Showcase.  It's the second year I've done it and it gives me a chance to see (hopefully) amazing movies back-to-back.

Fourth movie in yesterday, I had the opportunity to see "Precious" for the first time.  I had known about the book Push that it was based on, so I knew what to expect, but I wasn't prepared for how emotionally drained it left me.  It's the story of a teenage girl named Precious in Harlem in the late 80s who is abused mentally, physically and sexually by both her mother and father throughout her life.  It follows her at 16 the mother to two children (both fathered by her own father) and the people who come into her life: including a social worker and a reading teacher in a literacy program that's a part of the alternative school that Precious is attending.

I wish I could say that it ended up being a feel-good story, that everything worked out in the end.  But that's not always how life works.  There was a really moving scene toward the end where it becomes obvious that Precious doesn't understand love because she's never received it.  It reminded me of Deidox's awesome first short film about Lindsay, a NYC school teacher.  Deidox is an amazing company that produces short films that show God active in everyday people.


Deidox | Lindsay from Deidox on Vimeo.

I love in the film at around 2:15 when Lindsay is describing what kind of love she has for her kids in her class each year.  May we all show that sort of love to the people around us.  May we show it to precious kids & adults everywhere.

No comments: